Thursday, June 30, 2016

A Hand out of Hiding

As a Christian, I have heard the story of David and Goliath (1 Samuel 17:41-52) more times than I can count.  I can recall the accounts of this event without even looking at the scriptures.  You would think that when the title of the sermon message is: David: The Moment of Truth, I would want to take a nap.  What more could I possibly learn from a story that has been dissected in detail and explained in depth? 

That is what is so great about God’s word.  It is described as living, powerful, and sharper than a double edged sword (Hebrews 4:12) because no matter how many times you hear a message, God can reveal something fresh to your heart.  My "aha" moment came from verse 52, “And the men of Israel and of Judah arose, and shouted, and pursued the Philistines” (1 Sam. 17:52).  These men had all been hiding; for days, but now they are chasing the enemy.



With the story of David and Goliath, we have been given encouragement to defeat the giants in our life.  Giants being our own fears or obstacles we face.  We may be dealing with health, relationship, or financial issues.  It may be a new endeavor, a new job, or any number of things that seem huge in our life.  We are encouraged to face the giant, confront the giant, and slay the giant, but that requires us to come out of hiding.  Hiding places feel safe, but they block our sight-line, they skew our vision, and give us false comfort.

What caused these men to come out of hiding?  David encouraged them when he stepped out in faith and defeated Goliath.  From the view of their hiding place, it looked like the odds were in Goliath’s favor.  They couldn’t see clearly until David gave them hope, encouragement, and an example to follow.  My sermon notes say, “Use the victory to encourage others in the battle” (Marty Hughes).


This is the definition of mentoring.  There are people around you who may be afraid.  They may be facing some huge issues (giants) in their life.  They may not know how to do anything but hide.  You can give them hope, encouragement, and be an example for them to follow.  You can be an ear to listen, a partner in prayer, and a comforter by reaffirming God’s word in their life.  You can help them out of hiding, just as David did the army of Israel. 

Extend a hand to help others out of hiding...be a mentor.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Sharon,
    I love your blog it is the best ever. I really appreciate all the help you have offered. I'm trying my best to do the blog as the professor ha ask. I like the you are a Christian and am one as well. I found me a bible book to download and it read the word to you. I have said before that I read the book and don't understand or I can't pronounce the words. My church is having reveal this week I going to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kellie, you are welcome for everything. I think your blog is looking amazing! You are doing a great job, keep it up. You are an absolute jewel in God's eyes, He loves you so much, and I know He has to be proud of you because I am and I barely know you. You have not allowed anything to stop you from striving to do better. You have determined to find a way to succeed. I will be praying that God will speak to you in many ways through His word and at the revival. God Bless You.

      Delete
  2. Great blog, Sharon! You are a great role model for many! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement Holi, I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  3. Great post, your blog site is bright and cheerful which ties directly in with your messages and posts.

    ReplyDelete