Sunday, September 2, 2018

Mentoring Our Children

The arrival of Labor Day brings an awareness that the summer days are officially coming to a end. School is back in session for most of us and we have settled back into the routines of sports practice, music lessons, homework, dinner time, bath time, bed time, etc. I don't know about you, but around here, summertime is like one big long weekend. Other than our yearly vacation, we make no specific plans and just enjoy!

This year, however, I took some time to seriously consider homeschooling my children. I have been becoming increasingly concerned about the cultural things my children face at school. My oldest comes home with stories about the ideals and beliefs of her peers that blows my mind.

Listening to "Issues in Education" has taught me many things that I didn't know about the Public School System. It is alarming...shocking...baffling...ah...I'm not sure what word adequately describes the brain doing a flip and the only intelligent word I can find is...NUTUHA?!?! when I hear what is going on in our world today.

Homeschooling is a huge decision and I took lots of time to pray, research, inspect, discuss, consult, and pray some more. It seems it would be the most logical option for a stay-at-home mom but in all reality that became part of the issue as well. We are a one income family and homeschooling is not cheap.

This led me to think about single moms and dads who couldn't possibly home school their children. What things can we do as parents to help our children stand in their faith and face great adversity at school? In the midst of my search, I found this book "Praying Circles around your Children" by Mark Batterson.


Once I started reading I couldn't stop! He gave many great ideas to encourage our children in God's word and how to pray specific prayers with them, emphasizing God's promises to them. He shares tips for communicating God's word to our children throughout the day; even while they are at school. 

I began this new year of school implementing many of his suggestions and was inspired to be creative in writing a devotion designed for my children. The time we spend together each morning has become the most rewarding time of the day. Mentoring my children on this level brings great fulfillment for the entire family. 

I highly recommend this book if you are looking for ways to mentor your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment