Saturday, March 23, 2019

Just Cosmetics

Going shopping is described by many people as fun and exciting, but others find it to be a stressful, dreaded excursion. I think it all depends on the shopping purpose. My husband and I have had the same living room furniture since before our wedding day over 25 years ago. We love the style and comfort but it is starting to show a little wear. So, shopping for new furniture could be fun and exciting, shopping for toilet paper; not so much. But getting “new” doesn’t always mean better. I’m kind of fond of the old things; they are durable, beautiful, and dependable. 

As you know, one of the side effects of my treatment is hair loss. I’ve been told it will probably grow back different; color, texture, curly, etc. I don’t know what “new” hair I will get. 

My fingernails will also be affected by treatments. They have always grown out so perfectly strong and looking like a French manicure. They are beginning to turn dark at the root. I don’t know what process they will go through or what the “new” will look like in the end.

I find myself dreading these kinds of unknowns. When we go shopping we don’t know what we will find, but we do have some choices on the outcome. But when we have no control over the results then the unknowns can be scary. In the overall grand scheme of things who cares what my hair or nails look like, I will have my life which is much greater than the cosmetics of it.

In that same respect, our life here on this earth is just a moment of time; the cosmetic, if you will, of the grander eternity. "For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower thereof falls away" 1 Peter 1:24. 

Yet, many times we are wrapped up in the cosmetics of this moment of life and forget the bigger picture of our eternal. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16. 

Could it be because we see the eternal as an unknown that we have no control over? Could it be that people refuse Jesus Christ as Savior because of the fear of unknown or of giving up control of this moment of life? What will it cost me? What will it change? What will people say? I asked these very questions once, but after almost 20 years I can honestly say, there is nothing to fear. 

"But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life" Titus 3:4-7.  

2 comments:

  1. Sharon you are such an inspiration to me. You are a strong, loving and kind woman of faith. Love you 💜

    ReplyDelete