Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Facing My Own Mortality

My dad and I a few years ago
My dad says that the older you get the more you realize your own mortality. You know that your days are number and you try to prepare for what will inevitably come. However, we don't know when we are going to die. God never promised each of us would live into our old age. When we are young, we plan for our future, dying never really crosses our mind. We feel invincible with our whole life ahead of us.

Treatment #6
However, getting old is not the only time we come face to face with our own mortality. I am certainly no "spring chicken" but I still want to plan my future and seek what things may be just beyond my fingertips, to see around the bend of the next phase in my life. 

Having cancer doesn't always mean a death sentence. There have been many advances in medicine to fight all kinds of cancer with great success and many, many, many lives have been saved. 


Rachel's Dance
 I am fighting to be one of those success stories but if you have ever faced your own mortality; whether by age or by health issues, there is a place down deep that is preparing for the "what if". What if this is my last Resurrection Sunday with my family? What if this is the last concert I get to watch my son perform? What if this is the last dance I get to help my daughter dress for? What if this is the last anniversary with my husband?

Noah's Concert
Now, please don't get me wrong, I am not going into depression or giving up, but the lesson I am taking away from these "what if's" is that every moment should count whether cancer takes my life or I am a success story to live many more years. Every picture is valuable, every holiday special, every event isolated, and with that, every person unique and every relationship distinctive. How often I have taken life for granted; my husband, kids, friends, gifts, talents, jobs, and God.    

With all that said, since starting chemo I have given up driving because I don't think quickly or clearly enough to make driving decisions. I spend most of my days at home; resting and caring for myself. 

So, I can fill my day with anything that I feel like. I have been advised that I can eat anything I feel like eating. I can do anything I feel like doing. I can go anywhere I feel like going. I sleep when I feel like sleeping and work when I feel like working. It's all about listening to my body and giving it what it "feels" like. With this kind of protocol, I can fill my day with complete nothingness if I feel like it. 

So, the other morning, I scolded my daughter for piddling around instead of getting ready for school. "I don't know if you are getting lost in daydreams, messing on the phone, or going back to sleep but you have to stop piddling around and get ready," I said sternly. 

Five minutes after she made her way out the door I was comfortably positioned in what I call my Shepherd's Field where I spend time with God in prayer and scriptures. I heard God say to me, "You are getting lost in daydreams." 

It is always so astounding to me when God uses situations as a parable to teach me about myself. As I reflected I could see the times that my daydreams led me to my phone for conversation or information and fell asleep to God's voice. 

Every moment counts and I don't want to waste another one lost and asleep to this wonderful life God has given me and I don't want to miss out on another word God has to say to me. 

I am assured of God's mercy, faithfulness, and compassion in the scriptures. "It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, says my soul; therefore will I hope in Him. The Lord is good to them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeks Him" Lamentations 3:20-25.    


8 comments:

  1. Sharon, you are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing in such a transparent way. What a great communicator you are, and what an amazing Christian witness you are! I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and for your prayers Shari. I've had some great teachers in the faith along the way; you being one of them. Love you!

      Delete
  2. Good morning Sharon !!
    You are an inspiration for me, and have been since I met you. Some time soon, I would be honored to come and sing for you. If you would accept me to do this, Please give me some dates and times that would be good for you. You are in my prayers !! Please text me on my cell--918-791-8488. Thank you, and God be with you........ Love in Jesus, Mary
    PROVERBS 3:5-6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mary, that would be amazing. You are so sweet and kind. I am home every day except Monday and Tuesday. I'll text you so that you have my number as well. Love you.

      Delete
  3. Sharon, your peace and resilience are an inspiration to me. I spend too much time worrying about the small and insignificant things of life. Thank you for your beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you find yourself worrying, stop and start worshipping. You can trust God to take care of even the insignificant things of life because they really do matter. Sometimes it's the little things that make the greatest difference. Everything we go through has the potential to build Christ-like character. Thank you for sharing your heart and kind words with me.

      Delete
  4. Just incredible once again. Continuing to pray for you to evolve healthier than ever.

    ReplyDelete