Sunday, July 7, 2019

Preparing for Surgery

I can't believe how quickly time has passed. My last chemo treatment was May 28th but it seems like it was only a couple of weeks ago. The neuropathy has disappeared in my fingers, I feel it occasionally in my toes, but under the circumstance, I am very grateful it's not worse. My taste buds have healed and my appetite is back (that's not so great for the waistline) but it is nice be able to taste food again.

I have been spending most of my time preparing for breast surgery, which is July 15th. It has put me on a quest to complete some tasks that have been staring at me throughout my chemo treatments. Other things just started piling up after chemo started, but thankfully I have completed most of them.

I had a great time with my dad and brother when they came for a visit. We had the most fun making fry bread for tacos. It was an unplanned, last minute idea that sent us to the store twice, made a huge mess in the kitchen, and caused us to eat later than normal, but it brought the most memorable moments.

Sometimes the best things we do together are the hardest to achieve. We almost gave up on the idea because it wasn’t coming together very easily. It took great effort to find a recipe, gather the ingredients, dig out the fryer, and research the technique. We made a few mistakes and failed on our first three breads, which we found pretty tasty as a snack before dinner. It was all worth it in the end, not just because we had great tacos, but because we had a great time.

It made me think about the great effort it takes to live as a Christian; the mistakes we make, the trials we go through, the persecutions we face, and the many times we fail, but it is all worth it in the end. It takes effort to seek His word and dig out the truth. It takes effort to accept His word over what we want for ourselves. It is easier to give up and go with the flow of the world around us. It is easier to give in to our own wants and desires.

I have heard many times that cancer isn’t for sissies; well, I can say the same about Christianity, it is not for sissies. Those of us who choose to be Christians are not given a special bubble to live in that keeps us from troubles, heartache, illness, or catastrophe. What we are given is a special relationship with the God of creation, through Jesus His Son (John 3:16).

In this relationship we find the wisdom, encouragement, strength, and faith to endure through all that life puts before us. We find amazing grace, unstoppable love, unexplainable peace, great joy, and a life that is worth living. The most difficult times can be the most rewarding. The hardest obsticles can be the greatest moments. God makes all things work for good to those that love Him (Romans 8:28). 

Cancer has effected every part of my life. I have had to deal with physical limitations, challenged on the emotional roller coaster, and spiritually stretched in my faith. Through my relationship with the Lord, I have found His word to be true; all things have worked for good.   

I still have surgery and radiation to go through on this cancer journey, but God is sufficient and He will see me through it all.

2 comments:

  1. I love the pic of you, Laverne, and Travis. What great memories you made! You have our prayers as you embark on this next part of your journey. You are an OVERCOMER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shari. I love the picture too, we had so much fun. Thank you for always encouraging me with your comments. I appreciate your prayers and the love you share through your words.

      Delete