Saturday, January 19, 2019

It's Chemo

I was wrong about cancer being the only word in the world that could churn the stomach to the point of vomiting ~ chemo is another.  Those of you who have been through this process probably have some insight to a few more words that I have not heard yet which will do the same.

The diagnosis is Stage II Triple Negative Ductal Carcinoma. The triple negative means that the cancer is estrogen negative, progesterone negative, and HER2 (a protein on the cell surface that stimulates growth) negative. This limits the treatment options to chemo ~ 3 to 6 months of chemo before any surgery is considered.

http://relay.acsevents.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=686861.0
Honestly, I was very surprised that I only have one option. I thought with all the research facilities and extensive studies that have been taking place over the past several years that there would have been multiple options for treating cancer by now.

In all reality, I suppose there are, unfortunately, there are no other options for me. This was very disappointing because I know the effects chemo can have on the total health of the body. I do not want to do chemo and was hoping for a different option.

Of course, at this point they do not know if the cancer has spread anywhere else in my body or if the cancer originated from somewhere else. The doctor took a sample from swollen lymph nodes under my arm to send off for testing which will not be back for several days. If I understand things correctly, my stage II will be increased to stage III if the results come back positive.

Before chemo can begin I must have a series of tests done. While waiting, I will be making every effort to increase my immune system and overall health. I am spending lots of time in God's word to make His promises ever present in my heart and mind. "Be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might" Ephesians 6:10. He is my Strength, my Fortress, my Deliverer, my Strong Tower; in Him will I place all my trust. He is sufficient for my life.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for You are with me" Psalm 23:4. I love this verse because I am walking through a valley but death is a mere shadow. I have nothing to fear because God is with me every step of the way.

4 comments:

  1. Having been thru this journey not complete yet I do understand what you are feeling. A good friend whom was diagnosed 2 months after me was triple neg stage 111a. She has done great. I know you will also because you have our heavenly Father as your provider and healer. What satan may mean for bad God will shine thru showing all the good God intends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth. Your kind, encouraging words mean so much to me. I've been amazed at how much energy is boosted by the simplest things said. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Sharon, Tammy Wirtz from my church ask me to reach out to you. I have successfully beat Lung cancer going into year 5. I don’t blog but if you want to reach out to talk, pmoran@pldi.net or 1-580-284-4010.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I have your number and email written down. I appreciate you reaching out to me. Tammie is such a sweet person and I know that her love for God leads her life. Thanks again.

      Delete