Saturday, February 23, 2019

Acts of Kindness

I have had so many wonderful acts of kindness shared with me this week that I can only praise God for moving in the hearts of people. I have been on the receiving end of Romans 12:10, "Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honor preferring one another." My heart is so full my eyes leak with the overflow.

First, my sweet dear friend Khirsti invited my children to the theater performance of "Beauty and the Beast" with her family and I thought I was going to burst. She opened her arms and gathered my children up in them just like Jesus did with the children in Matthew 19:14. There are no words to express how it feels to have someone think of your children while you are going through treatment for cancer.   

Second, I have been assured that I will be losing my hair with the kind of chemotherapy treatment I am receiving. My friend Deb offered to help me with scarves and wigs; she even brought some bangs to put under my scarf so that it will look like I have hair. I've never worn a wig before, I'm not sure I want to, but she showed me how to put it on and how to tie up the scarves. Now, when I do lose my hair, I will be confident in taking care of my head.  

Third, some of my family and friends chipped in to help me get a new recliner because I had a tough time getting comfortable while dealing with the side effects of chemo. My bones ached, my back hurt, and my skin throbbed from laying in bed. I tried moving to the couch but it wasn't any better. I couldn't help but feel blessed and I know that word is probably overused but I truly do feel blessed to have this need met. 

Many other acts of kindness included; food delivered to my door prepared and ready to eat. A phone call saying that my children would be picked up from school so I didn't have to get out. A gift brought by which contained a bag with all I would need at the hospital during treatments. The countless encouraging texts, calls, cards, and visits. The prayers I feel being said every day on my behalf. 

Romans 12 is the chapter about the body of Christ; our responsibilities to God and to each other. I have experienced the movement of the body of Christ this week. "Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; distributing to the needs of saints; given to hospitality" 12:12-13. "Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. Be of the same mind one toward another" 12:15-16. 

Kindness is deeper than the act of it; it can nourish the soul. 


2 comments:

  1. I feel blessed just reading about your blessings. People can be so wonderful. I'm so happy you are getting the help you need. I don't know that we always think about the little things that help during this time. God is good! Keeping you lifted in prayer! Tammie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammie. I agree about the little things. I am learning what it means to be a blessing to others by the people who have been a blessing to me.

      Delete