Saturday, February 9, 2019

Gleaning From Cancer

It's been almost a month since I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Triple Negative Ductal Carcinoma Breast Cancer. The doctor said that I would have 3 to 6 months of chemo before surgery would be discussed. There is no other option but chemo. When I found out I had cancer, I cried; when I found out chemo was my cure, I sobbed.

https://aroundwellington.com/the-making-
strides-against-breast-cancer-walk/
I had many women doing their best to encourage me that chemo was going to be fine...that I would do great...and that I had nothing to fear. I was told many stories of other survivors and miracles that happened along the way. However, it didn't change anything for me.

I have been diligently seeking a cure that did not involve chemotherapy. The first thing I did was change my diet to predominantly plant-based foods. I found supplements that would help boost my immune system. I researched alternative medicines that had a proven track record for killing cancer.

I went to a naturopathic doctor last week to look at by body on a cellular level. The technology was amazing! According to the test, the cancer in my body is fungal based and there are supplements that can kill the fungus. The doctor thought I should see results in 4 to 6 weeks by taking these supplements.

I applied for a clinical drug study for women with Triple Negative Breast Cancer but had to wait for my gene test results before I could be approved. If this drug works it would give a future option for women with this type of cancer. Still waiting for my results to come through. I even sent my medical records to an Oncologist in another country hoping for a different protocol; one that didn't include chemo, but he reported back that I needed chemo immediately.

A couple of weeks ago, my friend Janie asked me if I was willing to do whatever was needed, even if it was chemo. It was a hard question that I had to take to the Lord. I had to admit that I was afraid of my cure and stop running, so I decided to trust God with my cure as well as my disease. I chose not to wait the 4 to 6 weeks for the supplemental results and move forward with chemotherapy.

I have had all my tests; breast MRI, CT scan, bone scan, and echo cardiogram. The port has been put in place and chemotherapy starts next week. I will have a two-drug (Adriamycin and Cyclophosphamide) combination drip for the next 8 weeks. Then the drug will change to Paclitaxel for 12 weeks. Total treatment of 5 months.

Gleaning life lessons from cancer has taught me to look beyond my physical adversity to find the Spiritual strength that will be with me on the other side. My prayers are more intimate; they are less about me and more about Him. The Psalms have been a great encouragement for me because it is there I find that The Lord is my light and my salvation; of whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" 27:1.

I didn't realize that I was running scared or that I had let fear dominate my decisions. Now that chemo is only a few days away I can face it in faith; trusting the Lord with all my heart and leaning not on my own understanding (Proverbs 3:4-5).

No comments:

Post a Comment