Friday, June 17, 2016

Welcome!

Welcome!  This blog is dedicated to sharing my Christian journey.  I have been a Christian for 17 years and been in women’s ministry for 11 of those years.  I am a wife, mother, Bible student, author, speaker, radio host and founder of Proverbs 31:30 Ministry. I have had the privilege of sharing in the lives of many Christian women over the years and honored to be guided by women of great wisdom. I always considered this discipleship rather than mentoring.

I had these persistent questions: "Is discipleship and mentoring the same thing?"  "Have I mis-defined discipleship?" "How are they different?" "How are they the same?"   

Many Christians say that discipleship and mentorship is exactly the same thing.  I had a completely different mindset that encompassed that term "discipleship" which made me think of it completely different than mentoring.  Discipleship always meant “training” or “teaching” someone else in the Christian faith, along the way, a relationship may develop.  In mentoring, there is a personal mindset that goes beyond being a teacher or trainer in the faith.  It is a purposeful scouting for women to share your Christian faith with, to seek out a mentor to pour into your life, and to find someone that you can pour into also.  Christian mentoring is having someone to “do” Christian life with you, but isn't all of that discipleship also?

The answer is yes!  Yes, Christian mentoring is discipleship.  Jesus said, "Go ye therefore and make disciples of all the nations..." Matthew 28:19.  We are being discipled when we go to church, fellowship with other believers, spend time in His word, and in prayer.  Discipleship is a vast expanse of a variety of ways we encourage others to grow in Jesus Christ and mentoring is a part of those many ways we disciple others.   

I would like to invite you to join me as I journey into the discipleship of mentorship.  I will be sharing what I am learning from women who have been mentoring for years.  I will share the resources I find and the tips I discover along the way.  I would also like to invite you to share your heart in mentoring.  As we journey together, we can learn from each other, build our resources, and find tools to help us be a mentor and mentee.  

Let’s learn and grow together!



No comments:

Post a Comment